A healthy muffin recipe with amazing blueberries peeking through them. My son used to love store bought blueberry muffins but when I used to see the ingredients, I could not pronounce many of them, let alone understand what they are….. So here is a simple recipe with “known” ingredients.
Instead of 1 egg, you can also use ½ cup buttermilk, it will give the same softness.
Ingredients: All-purpose flour – 1 cup, whole wheat flour – ½ cup, organic blueberries- fresh or frozen – 1cup, baking powder, 2 tsp, 1 egg, salt-1tsp, milk-3/4 cup, brown sugar- 3/4 cup, oil-1/3 cup, vanilla essence – 1tsp
Tools used: Muffin molds, whisk, spatula, mixing bowl
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F
- Mix dry ingredients: both flours, salt, sugar, baking powder in a mixing bowl
- Take another container for wet ingredients: oil, egg, milk, vanilla essence and whisk them until it is a smooth mixture
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and gently mix- you don’t really have to use the folding technique for this recipe
- Slowly fold in blueberries into the batter so that you don’t pop them and scoop out the batter into molds. Sprinkle some sugar on top which will add to the texture once cooked
- Bake for 15 minutes or check by inserting a toothpick in the center of the muffin and if you don’t see any residue on the toothpick after taking it out, that means they are done.
- Blueberries pop due to the heat and ooze out the amazing flavor
- Whole wheat flour: dietary fiber, antioxidants, B vitamins, and phytochemicals
- Blueberries: Fiber, potassium, folate, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and antioxidants
- Brown sugar Vs white sugar: Brown sugar contains slightly more minerals than refined white sugar, because it has molasses.